Words about love

I came across this online article (10 Relationship Words That Aren't Translatable Into English - Big Think) and I wanted to share it with the Lingq community (hope I’m in the right forum by the way). Let’s see what people think, can you confirm the meanings of these words and do you maybe know more like it?
Here are the words:

1. Mamihlapinatapei (Yagan, an indigenous language of Tierra del Fuego): The wordless yet meaningful look shared by two people who desire to initiate something, but are both reluctant to start.

2. Yuanfen (Chinese): A relationship by fate or destiny. This is a complex concept. It draws on principles of predetermination in Chinese culture, which dictate relationships, encounters and affinities, mostly among lovers and friends.

3. Cafuné (Brazilian Portuguese): The act of tenderly running your fingers through someone’s hair.

4. Retrouvailles (French): The happiness of meeting again after a long time.

5. Ilunga (Bantu): A person who is willing to forgive abuse the first time; tolerate it the second time, but never a third time.

6. La Douleur Exquise (French): The heart-wrenching pain of wanting someone you can’t have.

7. Koi No Yokan (Japanese): The sense upon first meeting a person that the two of you are going to fall into love.

8. Ya’aburnee(Arabic): “You bury me.” It’s a declaration of one’s hope that they’ll die before another person, because of how difficult it would be to live without them.

9. Forelsket: (Norwegian): The euphoria you experience when you’re first falling in love.

10. Saudade (Portuguese): The feeling of longing for someone that you love and is lost. Another linguist describes it as a “vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist.”

1 Like

Oh, I just found this old post of mine. I’ll comment on it in the hopes of somebody throwing in their two cents. I still think this is an awesome little list :slight_smile:

I can’t verify any of them, but #3 is my favourite:)

1 Like

“Cafuné” comes originally from the African Kimbundu language, and originally meant to pick lice out of someone’s hair (sorry to ruin the romantic vibe).

Saudade Day is January 30.

1 Like

You’re right - it did ruin it - haha!

1. Saudade (Portuguese): The feeling of longing for someone that you love, but not necessarily lost, it may be someone that is just away. It can also refer to family and friends, you can feel “saudades” of your children or a particular great friend that you haven’t seen for a long time.
    You can also feel “saudade” of your country, like Cesária Évora, a singer from Cabo Verde (recently deceased) so well describes in her song:
    - YouTube
1 Like